The Dave Caddey Memorial Scholarship
The Aerospace Industries Association of Canada (AIAC) is proud to present the Dave Caddey Memorial Scholarship, supporting students in their choice of a career in aerospace, space and defence sectors.
AIAC is committed to ensuring the long-term success of aerospace in Canada. In establishing this scholarship, AIAC will help Canadian aerospace companies of all sizes to have the resources they need to grow and enhance their competitiveness.
The 2019 Scholarship winner will receive:
- Financial assistance for their post-secondary education
- Hotel and travel expenses to travel to Ottawa to attend Summit 2019 — Canada’s premiere aerospace & space conference
- The opportunity to network and engage with the brightest professionals in the Canadian aerospace and space industries at Summit 2019
How to apply
2019 applications are now closed. Stay tuned for the opening of 2020 applications in the spring!
- A completed application form (PDF)
- Official transcript from either high school or post-secondary institution from the past two semesters
- A one-page reference letter from a current or former professor/employer that includes the following:
- Applicant’s demonstrated and continued commitment to the aerospace, space or defence industries
- Ways in which the applicant has distinguished him/herself from other employees
- Reasons indicating why the applicant is deserving of this scholarship
- Current employer/supervisor contact information
- A typed essay (500-700 words) that answers the following: What or who inspired you to focus on aerospace or space as a career?
- Proof of applicant’s enrolment in a Canadian post-secondary institution. One of the following will suffice:
- Letter of acceptance or conditional letter of acceptance
About Dave Caddey
David N. Caddey was a Canadian space industry leader and visionary. For nearly thirty years, he worked at MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates (MDA), serving as President of MDA’s Space Missions division and as Executive Vice President. During this time, he oversaw several of their major programs and lent his management and leadership skills to some of Canada’s most advanced space programs, includ- ing the construction of the RADARSAT-2 spacecraft and its associated ground infrastructure as well as the construction of the International Space Station Mobile Servicing System.
Mr. Caddey began his career in the military, spending 19 years holding various technical and engineering positions in the Canadian Air Force before joining MDA in 1986.
A dedicated advocate for Canada’s space industry, he served as both Director and President of the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre in Vancouver, and on the Board of Directors of the US Space Foundation. He also had a long history of leadership at AIAC, including roles as Chair, a member of the board of Directors, and Chair of the AIAC Space Committee. He also played a leading role in developing the space industry’s contributions to the 2012 Emerson Review on Aerospace and Space.
Mr. Caddey held a Master of Science and Bachelor of Science from Royal Military College in 1976 and 1971, respectively. In 2014, Mr. Dave Caddey was awarded the James C. Floyd Award by AIAC for his exceptional contribution to the development of Canada’s space industry. He passed away in September 2015.