Alberta Economic Development and Trade
Tel: (780) 427-6345
10155 - 102 Street NW
Edmonton, AB, t5J 4G8
Alberta’s diverse and competitive aerospace and defence sector continues to evolve .The province is recognized worldwide for its expertise in areas such as robotics and unmanned vehicle systems, defence electronics, and geomatics.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Robotics and Unmanned Vehicle Systems – Alberta’s Foremost UAS Range is Canada’s first permanent restricted airspace authorized by Transport Canada to conduct BVLOS operations . Alberta has an application rich environment, airspace and a cluster of innovative organizations involved in various aspects of the industry .
- Defence Electronics – Firms such as Harris, Raytheon, General Dynamics have a presence in the province .
- Aerospace– based Geomatics and Scientific Research – Alberta’s expertise in space physics, instrumentation, imaging and materials is unmatched in Canada . Alberta has over 25% of Canada’s geomatics, navigation and positioning firms involved in mapping and measuring through aerospace-based platforms .
- Manufacturing, Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul – Alberta companies provide maintenance, repair, overhaul and modification of military and commercial aircrafts .
- Logistic Support to the Military – Four of the most important military bases in Canada are located in Alberta .
- Helicopter Industry – This industry specializes in providing flight training, maintenance repair and operations, charters and fixed-base operations for a variety of aviation rotary wing services .
- Training and Simulation – This is a growing cluster . Located at the Edmonton International Airport’s Cargo Village, Alberta’s Aerospace and Technology Centre houses Canadian North’s Level D Boeing 737, and Canadian Helicopters’ Airbus Helicopters AS350 Level 7 FlightTraining Device .
- Air Cargo Logistics – Alberta has two Foreign Trade Zones; a well-developed freight and small parcel distribution network; expanding warehousing and distribution facilities; and air cargo routes between Asia, Europe, the Middle East and North America.
GOVERNMENT OF ALBERTA
The Ministry of Economic Development and Trade provides leadership on the government’s economic development efforts, and single-door access to information and support for businesses and investors.
As part of its mandate, the ministry works to promote and develop Alberta’s innovative aerospace and defence sector. Along with 12 international offices, it provides advice, information, market intelligence and introductory services to Alberta companies wishing to export their products and services, as well as Canadian and international firms looking to invest in Alberta.
For more information on the opportunities in Alberta’s aerospace and defence industry, visit: www.albertacanada.com/business/industries/
- WestDef – Western Canada’s premier defence and security conference
Calgary, July 5-7, 2017
www .wcdia .com/newsevents
- ConvergX – A conference exploring solutions between the aerospace defence and security, energy and mining sectors
Calgary, February 6-8, 2018
Numerous organizations and industry associations support Alberta’s industry:
- Alberta Aviation Council – www.albertaaviationcouncil.com
- Canadian Business Aviation Association – www. cbaa-acaa.ca
- Western Canada Defence Industry Association – www.wcdia.ca
- Western Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Association – www.wamea.com
- Alberta Innovates – albertainnovates .ca
- Alberta Centre for Advanced Micro Nanotechnology Products – www.acamp.ca
- C-FER Technologies – www.cfertech.com
- Tecterra – www.tecterra.com
- Defence Research and Development Canada Suffield – www.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/en/research-centres .page
- National Institute of Nanotechnology – www.nint-innt.ca